Saturday 3 March 2007

...don't quash the dream

...watching the Olympics on telly was a big family thing when I was little, my dad would rally us around to watch it. I loved it, and the events I really liked watching were swimming and athletics - the sprinters especially. When it got to the medal races I would cry for joy when a runner crossed the finish line and got Gold. Crying for joy is properly understating my true feelings. I was overwhelmed with some feeling or the other and the only way to release it was to cry! I remembering discussing with someone years ago about watching the Olympics and telling them that I tended to cry when the runner wins. I got this really strange look from the chap!

Now I've just finished balling my eyes out because I've watched Alaine being booted off of American Idol - Yes I love all these singing talent shows (American Idol, I love you the most), and yes I cry my eyes out when I watch them..... whether it's that a person wins, or the wrong person gets booted off (i.e Alaine - American public hello!) or it's a single mother talking about how life has been rough and she's doing this for her little girl....those tears flow man!

..but I have realised from watching these shows why I cry, it's because at the end of the day, these are people dreams that they are trying to achieve, a sprinter puts so much mental and physical energy into crossing that line and you can see it is their eyes when they do, that it was ALL WORTH THE JOURNEY THEY TOOK TO GET THERE...

A couple of months ago I got talking to a lady who, successfully runs a kids cookery party business and her products have been stock listed in celebrity cooks books , one being Nigella Lawson. She has appeared on SKY's Food Channel etc, we got talking because I contacted her by e-mail about joining her UK team of cooking party organisers (you get money for every party you organise) I needed the extra money and I thought I could do with the training they were offering. Thing is, part of my business involves workshops with kids but not parties and I don't intend to go down the party route, but I needed the extra cash, and would find the training very beneficial. Which I mentioned in my e-mail to her - yep I know, I can feel you cringe, but that's me! At least it warranted a call from her as she was very interested in me! We got talking, she's really a lovely lady who has a real passion for kids, and anyone else who has that passion she has a lot of time for! The only thing, is that If I did get onto her team, I would have to stop the workshops I run as our businesses would compete (she does workshops as well)... I thought about it and said, do you know what, "I don't want to give up my dream..."

She asked that we keep in touch, gave me advice about a business case I was having with our local council (I told you she was a lovely lady) and I'm glad I had that honest chat with her because whenever things get tough with this business thing... I remember what I told her...
I don't want to give up my dream

3 comments:

Omara said...

Well done for standing firm! I hope you have that dream written down in minute detail somewhere... an offer will come that will be sooooo tempting, your dream will be a distant memory. Habakkuk 2:2 says "Write the vision, and make it plain... that he may run that readeth it."

Roz said...

Omara thanks

That is something I had not thought about. I will write it down, if possible I'll engrave it somewhere!

Thanks again

KemiMamaLopes said...

Love the website :) I want a cake for my birthday at the end of April. Will be 35 so I need ideas for the design. Oms forwarded an email about the link on the comments page. Link on, I say. You can actually link it as one of the favourite sites on your blog page. Advertising is great. Off to write my visions! Take care, KK