Saturday 10 March 2007

How to save a life

...i stumbled upon this music video the other day and was quite taken by it. I wasn't too sure what it was on about but I think it was more the text shown during the video that got me.

'How to save a life'
By THE FRAY
(I've posted video link at end of the post, hope it works!)

A couple of days ago on the radio the band was interviewed and the inspiration behind the song was revealed. It was to do with the journey of recovery of a drug addict youth and how this member of the band was able to play a part in that road to recovery.

Now all my volunteering work has been to do with the youth, be they troubled, under-privilaged or just plain bored ones! But I don't know if I've really made a difference in their lives, sure I might have helped (alongside a load of other people) to make a couple of hours in their lives a bit more enjoyable.... but I'm sure there is more to be done. I am working on that and I pray my Social Enterprise business can help in some way towards that.

I also pray that whatever work, business or home situation you are in, find a way of having a hand in helping out our younger generation. You never know, you might cause a ripple effect that would eventually 'save a life'

I'll leave you with this, hubby showed it to me, it's from The Word For Today' Tue Feb 13 2007

Aim them in the right direction
Raising your child 'in the way he should go' means recognising four things:
1) Strenghts, At two, Van Cliburn played a song on the piano as a result of listening to teaching in the adjacent room, His mother noticed, gave him lessons, and the kid from Kilgore, Texas won the first international Tchaikovsky piano competition in Moscow.
2) Topics, John Ruskin said, 'Tell me what you like, and I'll tell you what you are'. What do your children like? Numbers? Colours? Activities? Study them! The greatest gift you can give them in not your riches, but revealing to them their own.
3) Optimal Conditions, A cactus thrives in different conditions to a rose bush. What soil does your child grow in? Some kids love to be noticed. Others prefer to hide in the crowd. Some do well taking tests. Others excel with the subject, but stumble through exams. Winston Churchill repeatedly failed tests in school. We each have different optimal conditions. What are your children's?
4) Relationships, What phrase best describes your child? 'Follow me, everybody...I'll let you know if I need some help...Can we do this together?...Tell me what to do and I'll do it.' Don't characterise loners as aloof, or crowd seekers as arrogant. They may be living out their story. What gives your children satisfaction? What makes them say 'yes!' Do they love the journey or the destination? Do they live to keep things straight or straighten things out? What thrills one, bothers another. Parent resist the urge to label before you study. Understand the uniqueness of your child.
'TRAIN UP A CHILD...(IN KEEPING WITH HIS INDIVIDUAL GIFT OR BENT)...Proverbs 22:6 AMP
I say...understand the uniqueness of EVERY child/youth, be they yours or not!

1 comment:

Misha's Story said...

Wonderful post. I'll be sure to pass this on to parents I know. Thanks!