Thursday 26 April 2007

oh to find peace and tranquility



...my 10 year old daughter was sitting outside our bedroom, I had just got her little brother to sleep and was coming out to say my good nights and prayers with her. What was she doing out there - she has this massive phobia of spiders. There was one on the ceiling of her bedroom which she had tried to get rid of but couldn't. One way of confronting her fear is trying to get closer to them, but she just couldn't do it, so she had been sat outside the door for ages! I got rid of the spider for her (with a massive amount of tissue between me and the spider, not liking spiders myself thank you!) but she still looked miserable, I asked her what was wrong, after much coaxing (by now tears were falling down her face) she told me that she really really tried to get rid of the spider by herself, but couldn't and she thought I'd get cross with her for not doing so as sometimes I (the Mummy) get upset with her for not being able to do it herself!

Oh my gosh! I felt terrible, why, because yes I have in the past been upset with her, but not for her phobia, which I know is a massive one, but because sometimes I'm just soooo tired and being asked to chase after an 'incy wincy tiny spider' when all I want to do is just put my feet up after a long day seemed to get on my nerves a bit - and I guess my frustration at this showed greatly on my face!

I have long looked at myself and wondered where the sweet happy go lucky me went to - and I've realised that I chased that person away with all the extra pressure I put on myself. I am aware that a lot of times when parents get a bit short with their kids is because they themselves are stressed out and tired!

When I had my Pharmaceutical Sales Representative job, yes there was all the glamour of snazzy company cars and trips aboard BUT there was the dreaded DEADLINES and TARGETS, getting out of the house at ridiculus times to meet doctors. I once had to stand outside a GP's surgery at 6.30am on a very icy cold wintery day to get to see 2 target doctors!...and gosh what some reps would stoop to to get sales was weighing me down, and it showed in my home life - don't want to go back there again.

So I am going to do all that is humanly possible to make my business a success, and I pray when it gets to the stage of employing people, I'm damn well going make my company a seriously family friendly place to work! If there's no peace at work, it tends to find a way of spilling over into family doesn't it!

9 comments:

Nael C. Robes said...

That is a beautiful goal. I have a boss who is a working mom and I appreciate the accommodations she makes so I can be there for my child. It really makes me a happier employee. Thanks for the blog visits and comments.

Nael C. Robes said...

Oh, I forgot to comment on something. I have never watched the apprentice. I have heard about it and my cousin watches it (she is pregnant with twins and broke her arm so she watches a lot of TV cuz she has to sit still). I have heard it is a good show.

Anonymous said...

U go girl. Pls try and take things easy. Find a balance btw your family and work. Remember family comes first, then work. Try and live stress free. BTW, got good news....finally got a job at a college! Starting on monday. :)

Roz said...

Oh wow wienna,

That is great news oh, BIG CONGRATS. Massive weight off your shoulders. We Thank God.

Anonymous said...

Thank u, mama oni cake Ldn lol, so when r u going to send me dat cake to wash am.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Stumbled across your blog. Life with children is a constant balancing act. Good luck with everything. Your cakes look amazing so I think you've got an instant success story. Amanda

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi, I responded on my blog but thought I'd stop by again too. Please do send me a recipe we'd love to give it a try.
littlefoodies AT hotmail DOT co DOT uk (sorry done like this as I don't want spam)
Thanks so much for your positive comments and again good luck to you.
Amanda

Roz said...

Hi Wienna

... one of my future plans (very near future) is to set up an e-bay shop to sell my cakes - undecorated. That way I get a chance to get my cakes, which I've been told are DIVINE, (hey a woman's got to be able to blow her own trumpet right!) further a field. When that happens we'll find a way of getting one to you, I promise!

Omara said...

I listened to a talk on Parenting at a Womens' Conference last weekend (I bought the CD too) and it was amazing how parents unknowingly neglect their children while trying to provide for them. You are DEFINITELY not in that category and those who are, are not to be judged. We all need education on how to find 'A' balance whatever our individual circumstances are. God help us all!